Wednesday, January 6, 2010

All in the name of religion.

Last night, i received an unexpected phone call from a classmate. Surprisingly, when she asked if i knew who she was, I knew immediately who she was, considering I last talked to her around 7 years ago.

Amidst the greetings, she had a request. One that is still bothering up to this very moment. She explained that last April, her only daughter who is 5 yrs old, went into seizure while recovering from a fever. She was admitted into a hospital and subsequently went into comatose, from which she woke up from 3 days after. But her motor skills were already impaired.

My classmate and her family including her husband's family believes in this religious sect which revolves around Karma and the interconnection of lives past, present and future. They believe that our souls pass from creature to creature gathering good karma till we reach fruition into nirvana.

My classmate's request was for me to help her child by joining their sect. My initial reaction was what does religion have to do with your kid. Apparently, they believe that by convincing another person in joining their sect, they earn good karma by saving another soul from damnation. They hope that with enough karma, her child will heal. Its kinda way out there but it is what they believe.

Which brings me to my dilemna. I think I'm still on a religious journey. I was educated as a Catholic but I have obviously wandered off the path and generally consider myself as an Agnostic. I am generally critical of religions that believe that they are sole avenue of eternal happiness. I still believe that heaven is for everyone. I could oblige her request and make her happy but suffer the potential damage to my sanity or I could decline and forever damage our friendship.

What would you do in my position? How far would you go in the name of friendship?

No comments:

Post a Comment